Printed from: www.grandmotherskitchen.net
Makes: Serves 4
6 strips bacon
1 Small 5 inch cabbage
1 medium size onion
2 cloves garlic - we used large Russian Red
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Dice the onions and chop the garlic into small pieces. Set aside.
2. Cut the bacon strips into small pieces, Place into a skillet and cook until crispy. You are going to be cooking the rest of the ingredients in the bacon fat so if there is an excessive amount of fat from the bacon you have cooked pour some of it off so the dish isn’t too greasy. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon onto a plate lined with paper towels.
3. Cook the onions and garlic for about 10 minutes on low heat until the onions have caramelized. Stir as needed.
4. Meanwhile, cut the cabbage into quarters, then each quarter into halves or thirds depending how big the cabbage is. You want to cut pieces into small bite size. Add the cabbage to the onions, stir in and cook another 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper and reduce to low heat.
5. Add about 1/4 cup water, stir the bacon pieces back in in. Cover with a lid and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes. Serve when ready.