Printed from: www.grandmotherskitchen.net
Makes: 2 cups
We used about 4 large slices of bread to get 2 cups
Bread of your choice, we used a sour dough rye bread
Butter, at room temperature, we used about 1/2 cup
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
3. Place your bread onto a cutting board. You can use fresh or frozen bread to make croutons.
4. You will need to use room temperature butter. If your butter is from the refrigerator and still hard you can do as we show on the video. Just place a couple 1/2 inch slices of butter into a baggie. Use a rolling pin to tamp on it to soften and then just roll the butter inside the bag.
5. This is a great little kitchen tip to get your butter ready if it was not at room temperature.
6. Generously butter each slice of bread on both sides.
7. Cut each piece of bread into small cubes about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in size.
8. Spread the cubes onto the baking sheet in a flat layer. Stacking them will make it so they do not toast evenly.
9. Place into the oven and set the timer for 16 minutes.
10. Keep and eye and stir the croutons after 8 minutes so they brown on all sides and so they do not burn.
11. If they are not toasted enough with this amount of time, keep them in the oven longer.
12. Times are going to depend on the type of oven you are using.
13. Remove from the oven and let cool.
These simple homemade croutons are fantastic with our Caesar salad recipe. They are not heavily seasoned so even children love the flavor.
Return to this Homemade Croutons recipe or check out more recipes at Grandmother's Kitchen